When I last posted we’d just arrived at Fort Stockton. We spent an uneventful night and next morning we’re up and ready to go. We have a good breakfast of biscuits and gravy at the campground restaurant then make a recognizance run to a truck stop about a mile down the road; this time I’m not going to make any stupid moves in the fuel lanes. We continue in to town just to drive by what’s left of the original Fort Stockton, an old military post that was shut down in the late 1800’s. There’s not much left. The morning is gray, the wind is already blowing and dust fills the air. If I had to use one word to describe Fort Stockton, it would be “windblown.”

On the way back to the campground we pass a pure white husky-type dog and a pure black cat breaking their fast on opposite sides of a deer carcass.  Back at the campground, we’re nervously hitching the Honda back up to the Edmund when we see a procession of cats being led by a guy who’s walking his dachshund. The day is beginning to resemble an old Bergman movie.


We make it through the truck stop with no damage and are about ten miles down the road when I noticed that the tow vehicle brakes-on light is flickering on the Blue Ox remote brake sensor. Only I’m not stepping on the brakes. I pull over to the shoulder and walk to the back of the Edmund. The electrical harness that connects to the Honda has pulled out of the Edmund and has been dragging beneath the Honda for several miles. The connector on the loose end is long gone and the road has worn through parts of the harness for its entire length. I bring the harness residue back to show Nan and she has about had it with the whole towing experience. She volunteers to follow the Edmund in the former tow vehicle since there will be no turn signals or brake lights on the Honda now that the wiring harness is kaput.

Another day of driving the Edmund by myself—McGregor’s no help; he refuses to make me a sandwich and won’t even bring me a soda.

We arrived at Las Cruces New Mexico after driving through the rain in El Paso. It’s a beautiful campground and the sun is shining. I asked Nan to get us a second night so we could spend the next day there. Fifteen minutes later, the sunshine is blotted out by another dust storm. So we spend the next day there, another dusty windy day, we can’t even have the windows open. We go to the neighboring RV store to find a new harness for the tow package. They only carry the configuration that failed us. Nan agreed to continue driving until we reach Las Vegas, so we ordered a better electrical harness and ask to have it drop-shipped to the Las Vegas RV park we’re heading for.  Then we walked around the old town of Mesilla where we had a fine Mexican meal. The rest of the day we hung out in the Edmund, avoiding the wind and flying grit. Tomorrow we leave for Tucson Arizona.

The drive to Tucson was boring but catastrophe-free. I really hate driving alone; I can’t listen to music because we still don’t have a way to plug the MP3 player into the Bose.  If I use headphones I might not hear Nan trying to talk to me via the hand-held radios we’re using to communicate.  But we finally arrived, got parked, hooked up, and immediately began to enjoy the sun.  The dust storms were finally gone.  Tomorrow we would begin to implement the “Recreation” part of the RV lifestyle for the first time since San Antonio.