Day two found us brushing our teeth in the restroom of the casino. The previous evening we’d milked an ATM for tollbooth money and were anxious to get back on the road. Breakfast was a more than decent buffet, only three dollars, no doubt subsidized by last night’s slot feeders. As we were heading back to the Edmund we stopped for a moment to watch some horses already working out on the casino track. Nice!

Oklahoma seems to consist of roads connecting casinos.

The skies cleared as we got closer to Texas. By the time we crossed the border and stopped at the Texas welcome station, the sun was shining and it was gloriously warm. We got out of the Edmund and just reveled in the heat and sunshine. This was what we’d come for and it looked like Texas was going to deliver. But the Edmund seemed determined to remind us that we weren’t in control. As we strolled back to it, we noticed a pronounced list to the driver’s side. When we’d picked it up at the service center, we’d noticed the same list, but the Service Manager Yahoo said it was just because the air hadn’t been released from the suspension evenly and that she saw it “all the time” on units parked in the holding area and that it would be fine once we started it up and hit the road. We believed her, yet another example of hope triumphing over experience. The list went on the List of Things to Worry About and we mushed on.

This was the day I really learned how grindingly hard it could be to drive the 42 footer any distance. It seemed like all the truck stops were either jammed or in congested areas or behind us before we realized it. As the evening grew near I was driving into the sun, so by the time it set, my eyes were dazzled and my night vision was shot. I never did find a filling station that day. We would need to get to one as soon as possible the next morning.

Nan had made a reservation at another KOA and this time the GPS systems got us there. This was a more traditional KOA and was pretty full. There was a work-camper available to direct us to our slot. We had to go the long way around to get to our pull through site and we experienced for the first time the effect of the Edmund’s rumble as people came to the doors of their RVs to see why their teacups were rattling in their saucers and to make sure we didn’t crush their tow vehicles or poodles as we maneuvered around some of the tighter turns.

At one point, I realized I wasn’t going to make the turn without backing and filling a little. Remember when I said you never back up a Class A while the towed vehicle is attached? I was tired and not exercising good judgement. I backed up. It was OK. I was lucky. We should have unhitched the Honda at the office, before we entered the warren of campground lanes.

But we got to the site with no damage done, got hooked up (running water at last!) and went to bed, happy in the thought that we would never be cold again.

– Poppa